French property dreams: 6 ‘maisons de maître’ for sale under €500,000
- Credit: Archant
Forget those château daydreams, a ‘maison de maître’ has the wow factor for a much lower price!
A chateau has long been the ultimate French property dream for many Francophiles, but it’s remained just that – a dream – due to the high costs of buying and maintaining a chateau. But did you know that you could buy a property with the same wow factor for a fraction of the price?
The ‘maison de maître’ style of property in France translates as ‘master’s house’; these were the homes of wealthy, important people, and they tend to command the best locations within the community.
Built to showcase their owner’s prosperity and standing, these substantial homes usually feature a grand symmetrical façade, while inside features include marble fireplaces, parquet floors and elegant windows. Even when located in town or village centres, they usually come with a lovely garden, perhaps even parkland. Here are a just few examples of the many beautiful ‘maisons de maître’ on the market for under €500,000.
With no less than nine bedrooms, this elegant home comes with a swimming pool and beautiful gardens. Within easy reach of the bustling market town Bellac, the property also has a small tower, outbuildings and a small guest house to renovate. (Beaux Villages Immobilier)
- 1 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 2 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 3 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 4 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 5 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 6 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
- 7 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 8 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 9 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 10 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
This spacious ‘maison de maître’ in the beautiful Creuse countryside offers both a home and a business opportunity. With seven ensuite bedrooms in the main house and two gîtes, the property is set in over a hectare of land. (Leggett Immobilier)
In a village half an hour from the medieval city of Carcassonne, this property comprises a five-bedroom house, one-bed gîte and garage. With a flexible layout, it could be a large family home or you could use two or three ensuite bedrooms for B&B as it has separate owner’s accommodation. (Allez Francais)
This 18th-century maison de maître benefits from a town centre location plus a large enclosed garden. With six bedrooms and elegant period features, the property is just a short walk from the local market, shops and cafés. (Beaux Villages Immobilier)
Set in over five acres of parkland, seven-bedroom maison de maître comes with a two-bed caretaker’s cottage and large barn. Dating from the 18th century, the property retains many lovely character features. (Leggett Immobilier)
In the sunny south of France, this property boasts a beautiful courtyard gardens, a veritable oasis! The six-bedroom home is located in a pretty village just 15 minutes from the popular town of Pezenas. (Freddy Rueda Immobilier)
See all these properties and more on FrancePropertyShop.com