Restaurant review: Les Oenophiles, Dijon
- Credit: Archant
Eve Middleton’s dinner out in Dijon is rich in classic tastes from the region
Nowhere is Burgundy’s reputation as one of France’s top foodie regions more evident than in the capital Dijon, where a visit to Les Oenophiles restaurant offered the chance to try local specialities.
My companion and I took our seats inside the historic, thick stone walls of the Hôtel Philippe Le Bon and browsed the menu while sipping a glass of kir – made with the region’s famed crème de cassis. Nibbling on cheesy gougère pastries, we chose from the €39 set menu, starting with snail ravioli in warm parsley butter, and a ballotine of pike dressed with an emulsion of the Burgundian river fish dish pôchouse.
Our main courses of chicken façon Gaston Gérard cooked in mustard and wine and named after a former mayor of Dijon, and quenelles of pike, were equally delicious. A shared cheese platter from famed fromagier Alain Hess saw us sample local treats including a creamy Époisses which left us wanting a shopping trip to Hess’s fromagerie in Beaune before our journey home.
Desserts featuring a delicious île flottante and another appearance by cassis in the form of a mouth-watering macaron with ratafia liqueur provided a perfect end to our meal.
- 1 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 2 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 3 Escape to the Château: Dick and Angel Strawbridge return to screens for new series
- 4 French Property: 9 Vineyards for sale in France for every budget
- 5 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
- 6 8 Instagram accounts all French learners should follow
- 7 Take a journey through France with the FRANCE Calendar 2022
- 8 Visit The Last Duel's French filming locations
- 9 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
- 10 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
Hôtel Philippe Le Bon
18 Rue Sainte-Anne, 21000 Dijon
Tel: (Fr) 3 80 30 73 52
Main courses from €17, menus from €39