CHRISTMAS OFFER Subscribe to France Magazines today CLICK HERE

How to set up your home and car insurance in France

PUBLISHED: 10:00 08 August 2018 | UPDATED: 10:00 08 August 2018

Set your French home insurance as soon as possible ©dreamstime

Set your French home insurance as soon as possible ©dreamstime


Thinking of moving to France? Make sure you make home and vehicle insurance top of your to-do list before starting your French life

Home and contents

Home and contents cover comes in various packages. Extra options are available to cover ither items such as jewellery, valuable belongings, swimming pools, that little garden that belongs to you down the road or your garden equipment.

• Holiday home/secondary residence: Public liability insurance is obligatory when insuring your French property and is always included in your home and contents cover. Public liability on a secondary residence will usually cover damage caused by the property to a third party. For example, a plant pot falls from your upstairs windowsill and falls onto the head of a passer-by causing injury. Home and contents insurance can range from ‘wear and tear’ to ‘new for old’ – you choose. Unlike the insurance policies you may already be used to, contents cover forms an integral part of a house insurance contract; it cannot be removed from a policy and is not sold separately.

• Rental property: If you are purchasing a property to rent out for short-term holiday lets, your public liability cover would normally continue under the condition that the tenants at the property do not stay longer than three consecutive months. In the event of a long-term let the property will need to be insured by you ‘the landlord’ to cover the buildings and your public liability, and on a separate contract via your tenants for their contents and public liability.

• Main residence: Those of you making a permanent move to France will need a complete home and contents cover with full public liability included. Think about any extra cover you may need if your home has been previously used just for holidays. Maybe you’ll need to increase contents cover, insure precious items, jewellery or artwork. You may now have invested in a ride-on lawnmower or be building a pool. Are you extending or renovating the property, adding extra rooms? Don’t forget to mention all this when changing or putting a new policy into place with your insurer. And remember, accidental damage cover is not included in French home and contents insurance, so if you spill a glass of wine over your new carpet you can’t make a claim!


Don’t miss

How to import a car to France

How to save money on your utility bills in France


Get your car insured in France for peace of mind ©EmilHuston - Getty Images/iStockphotoGet your car insured in France for peace of mind ©EmilHuston - Getty Images/iStockphoto


If your main residence is in France and you have a vehicle such as a car, small van (private use only) or motorbike, insurance is obligatory. You can choose from third party to fully comprehensive cover, which will include public liability and driver protection cover.

If your vehicle is registered in the UK, you will need to contact your local préfecture who will advise you of the process required to change your registration and number plates to the French equivalent. The simplicity of this process can vary depending on the make, model, age and country of origin of your vehicle.

While your vehicle is still registered on UK number plates, a French insurer will normally give you a grace period to get yourself registered correctly in France. Speak to your insurer about this as soon as you can to be sure of the terms of cover, in order that your cover does not abruptly come to an end, leaving your vehicle uninsured.

You may wish to leave a vehicle at your French residence even if you’re only there during holidays. Don’t be mistaken in thinking insurance is not needed on your vehicle when it’s locked away in the garage during your absence. It is possible to opt for a minimum level of insurance that includes fire and theft during your absence. You can then increase cover to fully comprehensive when in France and driving your vehicle regularly.

Other vehicles such as boats, ride-on lawnmowers and scooters also require their own cover if kept at your French residence.

Think about asking for a quote when you are insuring your main belongings, otherwise in the event of burglary or fire these items will not be covered.

More from Living in France

Tuesday, October 16, 2018

The quality of family life in France is one of the reasons why expats rate the country so highly when asked how they feel about their lives overseas, according to a new study

Read more
Expats in France
Monday, October 8, 2018

When Jacalyn Burke left the UK for New York, little did she know that she would meet her long-term partner Kate Fitzgerald and that they would buy their first home together in France. Jacalyn tells us how they made it happen and why they love life in Charente-Maritime

Read more
Tuesday, October 16, 2018

With a little thought and some careful planning, you can stretch your budget and make sure you don’t waste a single penny. Here are 9 ways to save money in your French home and have more to spend on enjoying life in France

Read more
Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Relocating to France? Make sure you prepare these 6 things before the big move to your French property

Read more
Expats in France
Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Thinking of setting up a campsite in France? Here’s what you’ll need to consider when it comes to planning permission.

Read more
Friday, April 6, 2018

Understand the home-sharing website Airbnb, including the latest French rules, and follow our top tips for using it to rent out your property in France

Read more
Running a business
Tuesday, June 26, 2018

With its unbeatable wine and cheese and laissez-faire attitude, there’s nowhere better to retire than France. But which cities are best for growing old in? Here’s the top 10

Read more
Pays de la Loire
Thursday, January 25, 2018

If you are buying in or moving to France you will need a French bank account but before you open one make sure you read these 11 things you need to know to avoid making a costly mistake

Read more
Tuesday, September 11, 2018

France might be experiencing a shortage of general practitioners but that doesn’t mean you won’t be able to find a GP willing to take on new patients. Here’s what you need to know about finding and registering with a doctor when you move to France

Read more
Expats in France
Tuesday, June 5, 2018

The French pharmacy is so much more tham a place to pick up your prescriptions. Here are 11 things you might not know about pharmacies in France.

Read more
Healthcare in France
Subscribe today

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

France Forum

Questions about France? Visit our free France forum to get help and advice from thousands of other Francophiles and expats. Topics include: property, tax, law, travelling, pets, education, healthcare and much more.

Join the forum

Most Read

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now