Restaurant review: Le Domaine d’Auriac, Carcassone
- Credit: Archant
Emma Rawle enjoys Michelin-starred dining in a historic setting
A short drive from the walled cité of Carcassonne lies Le Domaine d’Auriac, a historic hotel in the Relais & Châteaux collection. The former townhouse was built on the foundations of an abbey in the 19th century and enjoys a beautiful setting surrounded by parkland.
The restaurant’s decor reflects that era, with ornate period wallpaper and a roaring fire in winter. However, the weather was fine on my visit, so I enjoyed the Michelin-star regional fare of chef Philippe Ducos while sitting on the terrace overlooking the gardens and golf course.
Sipping a Blanquette de Limoux sparkling wine cocktail and tucking into warm bread (a choice of walnut, fig or olive), I chose the menu du marché (€67). As a starter, the famous anchovies from Collioure were prepared in a variety of ways, all equally delicious. My main course was a veal cutlet; slow¬roasted to perfection with garlic and thyme, and accompanied by Swiss chard prepared as a gratin, as well as chanterelle mushrooms and cannelloni tubes.
Dessert was the speciality of the restaurant, a hot Grand¬Marnier liqueur soufflé, which had a good slug of alcohol. Sommelier Franck Sakhinis stayed local with the wine (and why not with such riches in Languedoc¬Roussillon?) selecting a white from La Clape and a red from Corbières.
Le Domaine d’Auriac
Route de Saint-Hilaire BP 554
- 1 Iconic landmarks: The story behind Paris’ Arc de Triomphe
- 2 10 Romantic Hotels In France
- 3 Take a stroll in and around Pornic in Loire-Atlantique
- 4 French Properties: 5 houses with swimming pools for sale in France
- 5 See inside: Escape to the Chateau DIY's Chateau de Lomenie for sale
- 6 Discover the South of France villa from the upcoming Downton Abbey film
- 7 Why Boulogne-sur-Mer makes for a perfect family escape
- 8 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 9 What’s inside the May 2022 issue of FRANCE Magazine UK?
- 10 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
Tel: (Fr) 4 68 25 72 22