Restaurant Review: Augustine Kitchen, London
- Credit: Archant
Chef Franck Raymond impresses Emma Rawle with his quintessentially French menu at his London bistro
Just south of the River Thames, a stone’s throw from Battersea Park, chef Franck Raymond has set out to transport guests to a bistro in France with a restaurant named after his grandmother.
With a menu as traditionally French as it could be, the focus is on produce from the Évian-les-Bains area of Haute-Savoie where Raymond was born.
After nibbling on warm bread and salty butter while perusing the menu, I opted a creamy cassolette of snails packed with garlic and parsley (£6.50). My companion opted for a piping hot French onion soup accompanied by crunchy croutons topped with melted Bleu de Termignon cheese (£4.95).
My main course was a roast duck magret with spicy poached pear and a timut pepper sauce (£17.95), while my companion tucked into a shoulder of lamb confit that was cooked to perfection on a bed of spicy tabbouleh (£17.95). We were also persuaded to try the chef’s speciality – a dish of creamy dauphinoise potatoes that we demolished between us.
Even after cleaning our plates, we still found room for dessert: a tarte tatin and an indulgent dark chocolate mousse (both £4.95). A refreshing white wine from Languedoc-Roussillon complemented the meal perfectly.
- 1 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 2 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 3 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 4 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 5 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 6 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 7 Bargain Properties: 15 French houses on the market for under €50,000
- 8 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 9 Visit The Last Duel's French filming locations
- 10 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
63 Battersea Bridge Road
London, SW11 3AU
Tel: 0207 978 7085