- Credit: Archant
The Galvin brothers’ Café à Vin offers a delicious taste of France in London
Although London and Paris might be a Channel apart, London’s Michelin-starred Galvin brothers Chris and Jeff have re-created a delicious corner of France with their Café à Vin venture.
My companion and I stepped in to the lobby next to the Galvins’ fine dining La Chapelle restaurant, and admired the zinc bar and panelled ceiling. Seated at a padded banquette corner table across the wooden parquet, we chose from a concise, mouth-watering menu to a backdrop of gently tinkling ivories.
I started with a half dozen rock oysters (£12), accompanied by a crisp Touraine sauvignon, while my companion enjoyed the starter special of the day – artfully written in swirling liquid chalk on the elegant overhead mirror – in the form of salt and pepper squid (£7.50) with a chilled glass of Picpoul de Pinet.
My main course special of John Dory with braised artichoke and fennel (£16), served drizzled in warm butter strewn with capers, plump golden raisins and toasted pistachios, was paired by the sommelier with a white Burgundy. My companion’s seared bavette (£15.50) came with ‘pont neuf potatoes’, which turned out to be crisp-yet-fluffy chunky chips that made a classic pairing with her steak and Rhône Valley red wine. Desserts of rhubarb cheesecake (£5.50) and a cheese plate (£8) were a luscious full stop to a very Gallic meal.
Galvin Café à Vin
- 1 Emily in Paris: 3 Parisian apartments for sale that remind us of the popular Netflix show
- 2 Bargain Properties: 15 French houses on the market for under €50,000
- 3 Can you guess which 3 French towns are the best to live in?
- 4 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 5 Eco-friendly France: 5 new laws for 2022 plus 5 more for the future
- 6 Visit The Last Duel's French filming locations
- 7 9 dreamy châteaux for sale in France for budgets starting at €200,000
- 8 Visit Notre-Dame cathedral in a new virtual reality experience
- 9 5 beautiful Brittany properties for sale from €77,000
- 10 French château: Moving to the ‘edge of the world’ to run an award-winning luxury guesthouse
35 Spital Square, London E1 6DY
Tel: 0207 299 0404
Main courses from £8.50