- Credit: Archant
The Galvin brothers’ Café à Vin offers a delicious taste of France in London
Although London and Paris might be a Channel apart, London’s Michelin-starred Galvin brothers Chris and Jeff have re-created a delicious corner of France with their Café à Vin venture.
My companion and I stepped in to the lobby next to the Galvins’ fine dining La Chapelle restaurant, and admired the zinc bar and panelled ceiling. Seated at a padded banquette corner table across the wooden parquet, we chose from a concise, mouth-watering menu to a backdrop of gently tinkling ivories.
I started with a half dozen rock oysters (£12), accompanied by a crisp Touraine sauvignon, while my companion enjoyed the starter special of the day – artfully written in swirling liquid chalk on the elegant overhead mirror – in the form of salt and pepper squid (£7.50) with a chilled glass of Picpoul de Pinet.
My main course special of John Dory with braised artichoke and fennel (£16), served drizzled in warm butter strewn with capers, plump golden raisins and toasted pistachios, was paired by the sommelier with a white Burgundy. My companion’s seared bavette (£15.50) came with ‘pont neuf potatoes’, which turned out to be crisp-yet-fluffy chunky chips that made a classic pairing with her steak and Rhône Valley red wine. Desserts of rhubarb cheesecake (£5.50) and a cheese plate (£8) were a luscious full stop to a very Gallic meal.
Galvin Café à Vin
- 1 Escape to the Château: Dick and Angel Strawbridge return to screens for new series
- 2 Film Review: Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch
- 3 5 French property articles you won’t want to miss
- 4 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 5 French Property: 9 Vineyards for sale in France for every budget
- 6 Visit The Last Duel's French filming locations
- 7 8 Instagram accounts all French learners should follow
- 8 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
- 9 3 key things you need to know about visas for France
- 10 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
35 Spital Square, London E1 6DY
Tel: 0207 299 0404
Main courses from £8.50