July 2016 issue of FRANCE Magazine out now!
- Credit: Archant
In the July 2016 issue of FRANCE Magazine, we go on the trail of the writer Marcel Pagnol in Provence, suss out some of the best places to stay in the idyllic Dordogne Valley and cruise the rivers from Normandy to Champagne
All paths lead to Pagnol
Ray Kershaw travels to the western corner of Provence near to Marseille to bring us the story behind the much-loved writer and film-maker Marcel Pagnol. This captivating tale includes visits to the Pagnols’ holiday home in Les Bellons, a trip to Pagnol’s hometown of Aubagne, a trek along the Marcel Pagnol Trail and a tipple inside The Bar de la Marine in Marseille.
Where to stay in… the Dordogne Valley
This tranquil corner of central south-west France is the theme of this month’s accommodation feature. From hilltop hideaways to chic châteaux with to-die-for panoramic views, we reveal the best places to stay in this idyllic part of l’hexagone.
Taking a slow… River Dance
Howard Walker meanders along the Seine and Marne rivers to Champagne on the first half of an epic boat journey from the Channel to the Mediterranean. Highlights include passing by the harbourside in picturesque Honfleur, cruising past the magnificent Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris and sailing through Champagne vineyards along the River Marne.
- 1 Escape to the Château: Dick and Angel Strawbridge return to screens for new series
- 2 A Year in Provence with Carol Drinkwater – the new Channel 5 series to enjoy this autumn
- 3 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 4 Film Review: Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch
- 5 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 6 Visit The Last Duel's French filming locations
- 7 Book Competition: Win a copy of Fresh Water for Flowers by Valérie Perrin
- 8 Fibre optic France: countryside has faster internet access than many cities
- 9 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
- 10 Take a journey through France with the FRANCE Calendar 2022
Getting active in the Ardennes
Robin Gauldie ventures to the lesser-known area of the Ardennes on an action-packed weekend break. His trip sees him zip wire halfway across a forest, drive a 2CV, canoe along the River Semoy, take a Segway tour of the countryside and cycling alongside the River Meuse.
Plus, we uncover the best events in Corsica this summer, go on a 24-hour cycling challenge in Le Mans and suss out the top places to eat in Southern Brittany.
Buy the July 2016 issue of FRANCE Magazine here!
Or take advantage of our great subscription offer and get the magazine delivered to your door every month!