If I could, I would...
- Credit: Archant
Every so often, we come across a French property that knocks us for six. This month, Emma Rawle falls in love with this restaurant in Limousin
Reading the stories in Living France of expats who have moved across the Channel and started a new business and life in France often makes me wonder whether I could do it. Would I have the determination and knowledge to create my own business from scratch in a foreign country? Probably not! So when I saw this established restaurant in the medieval town of Chateauponsac I thought, what a great opportunity for someone who isn’t quite as confident in their own business-running abilities, ie me!
Already an established restaurant, café and bar, Le Bistrot has an existing client basis as the current owners have built up a good reputation in the town. With seating for 50 covers, a fully-fitted professional kitchen and equipped bar, and on the market for €235,000, all I would need to do is build upon what they’ve started.
As far as accommodation is concerned, there is a comfortable living area spread over two floors above the restaurant including four spacious double bedrooms, two modern bathrooms and two reception rooms. It would make a delightful family home or there is the possibility of converting one of the second-floor bedrooms into a kitchen to create a self-contained apartment that could be let out to generate some additional income.
A busy market town, Chateauponsac is only 35 kilometres from Limoges, and attracts holidaymakers during the summer months, making it the ideal location for a restaurant. Full of history, there is plenty to see and do and markets are held on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays so there are plenty of opportunities to stock up on fresh local produce to use in the restaurant. Rural Limousin often attracts expats looking for the authentic country life in France, so there would likely be an established community of Brits in the area, but I would definitely have to brush up on my French in order to run a successful restaurant.
Property ID: 241804
- 1 The Madame Blanc Mysteries: former Coronation Street star swaps Manchester for France
- 2 Surprise, surprise! France offers expats a great quality of life
- 3 Real Life: Canalside life in an idyllic Hérault village
- 4 Tour de France 2022: 3 new stage hosts announced
- 5 48 hours in Paris: Unmissable new things to see and do on a short break in the city
- 6 Allo Allo! Brits in France
- 7 Who are the Kretz family members from Netflix’s The Parisian Agency?
- 8 What you need to know about France’s Covid-19 health pass system
- 9 Bargain beauties: 9 renovated French properties on the market for less than €150,000
- 10 3 key things you need to know about visas for France