13 discoveries about life in France from Living France's Autumn issue
PUBLISHED: 09:12 28 August 2019 | UPDATED: 09:28 02 September 2019
In the Autumn 2019 issue of Living France we explore Marne, home of champagne, take a look at some northern port-towns and properties near them, and our muse takes hold as we speak to a woodworker in Vienne and the owners of a creative retreat in Nérac
1. Dom Pérignon (1638-1715) lived in the village of Hautvillers and dedicated his life to his faith and to perfecting champagne
We take an in-depth look at Marne, home of champagne, its towns and villages, what is like to move there and what types of properties are available to buy in the department.
2. A French country manoir can offer ample space to display antiques and art collected over the years
"I have always had magpie tendencies, but my style has evolved here" says Lora who, along with her partner Rob, owns this months À La Maison property.
3. Anyone who works or lives in France is eligible for state-assisted healthcare
Our Guide this month is to healthcare in France and covers pharmacies, eye specialists and dentistry.
4. Natural resources and an openness to self-taught artistry makes France a great place to be a wood sculptor
Woodworker Brad Quarless and his wife have had a warm welcome since they moved to Vienne.
5. There is a happy medium between a ready to move in new-build home and an old renovation project.
Find out all about the benefits of buying a property hors d'eau/hor d'air.
6. Raked up leaves can be used to make soil-enriching leaf mould for the garden
Sue Bradley discusses pelagoniums in her latest gardening column and shares her things to do in the garden this month.
7. Normandy port, St-Vaast-la-Hougue won this years Village Préféré de Français (France's favourite village)
We explore this and other notable Normandy ports including Granville, Le Havre and Dieppe.
8. Picturesque Nérac and its château draw in artists and writers alike to capture the magic of the town
We talk to the owners of the creative retreat and contemporary art space Studio Faire.
9. Google Assistant is the world's top performing real-time voice translator
That is according to online platform One Hour Translation. Expand your vocabulary, discover the latest language-learning aids and have fun with our puzzles on this months language pages.
10. The right partnership can transform a new business in France
The owners of Thiviers Hotel offered a young French chef a space to run his own restaurant and it has been beneficial for everyone, not least the guests.
11. A buyer can set conditions when signing a property contract that allows them to withdraw from purchase if not met
Planning expert Arthur Cutler explains the process and pitfalls of a condition suspensive.
12. French mortgage rates are lower than ever and transaction numbers are on the rise
Read our property news pages for all the latest from the world of French property including a luxury French château that is now on Airbnb.
13. There are some beautiful French homes within close proximity of the northern ferry ports
We round up our pick of six properties for sale in Normandy and Brittany.
If you want to read and learn more about life in France you can buy the Autumn 2019 issue of Living France here.
Or, you can take out our great subscription offer and get the magazine delivered to your door every month!