CHRISTMAS OFFER Subscribe to France Magazines today CLICK HERE

How to claim a refund on French social charges

PUBLISHED: 13:12 08 December 2015 | UPDATED: 13:12 08 December 2015

Paperwork © Dreamstime

Paperwork © Dreamstime


Non-residents and others who are entitled to a refund on the social charges they paid in France in 2013 have until 31 December 2015 to submit a refund claim. Here’s how to do it

Following the Conseil d’État’s ruling in July that the application of social charges on French income-generating assets of persons affiliated with a social security system of another member state of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland is against European law, the French tax administration has confirmed that social charges paid can be claimed back if certain conditions are met.

A refund can be claimed if applicants are registered under a social security scheme of another state other than France located within the EU, EEA or Switzerland. Applicants who do not reside in France can claim the social charges paid on their French property rental income or on the gains when the property was sold. Those living in France can claim back the social charges paid on their assets income as well as their investment products.

The total rate of social charges is 15.5%, but the French tax administration confirmed that the 2% solidarity levy (prélèvement de solidarité) paid before 1 January 2015 is not affected by the de Ruyter case, as this tax does not finance the French social security system.

“Under French law, any tax claim must be issued by 31 December of the second year following the year in which the tax was paid,” explains Loïc Raboteau of Francophile Legal Consulting. “Non-residents who paid social charges in 2013 on their 2012 incomes are reminded that they have until 31 December 2015 to submit a claim for a refund. Similarly, non-residents who sold a French property in 2013 and have been subjected to social charges are able to claim the corresponding tax until 31 December 2015.

You can submit your claim to your local tax office, or if you are a non-resident to the Service des impôts des particuliers non-résidents, either in writing or by logging onto your personal space on the website and going to the Réclamer (make a claim) section. You will need to provide documents proving the charges paid and proving that you are affiliated with a social security regime in another EU or EEA country or Switzerland. It is recommended to seek legal advice before sending a claim to ensure it has been drafted correctly and all supporting documentation is included.

What are French social charges?

More from French Property

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Ruth Wood looks at the French property hotspots where British buyers search for their dream home

Read more
Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Seen a bargain French property that just needs a bit of work to turn it into a dream home? If your heart is set on a renovation project, do your sums first, advises architect Nick Adams

Read more
New-build property in France
Tuesday, October 9, 2018

A new apartment development is available for investment in the Alpine expat haven of Annecy in Haute-Savoie

Read more
French Alps
Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Why your trusty high-street bank might not be the place when it comes to getting the best currency deal

Read more
Buying guides
Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Don’t be bamboozled by strange foreign exchange terms – this handy currency transfer jargon buster explains all!

Read more
Buying guides
Thursday, August 23, 2018

Is a ‘notary public’ in the UK the same as a ‘notaire’ in France?

Read more
Buying guides
Monday, July 23, 2018

Dealing with a loved one dying is difficult in any circumstances, let alone in a different country. To simplify the process as much as possible, here are the administrative procedures and legalities you need to know about when dealing with a death in France

Read more
Wednesday, September 19, 2018

With income tax soon to be deducted at source in France, how might this affect you?

Read more
Working in France
Friday, August 24, 2018

Find out how the new flat tax of 30% on income from financial investments works in France

Read more
Thursday, December 6, 2018

Live the high life with our pick of impressive properties for sale across France – some are budget-friendly too!

Read more
Buying guides
Subscribe for

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

France Forum

Questions about France? Visit our free France forum to get help and advice from thousands of other Francophiles and expats. Topics include: property, tax, law, travelling, pets, education, healthcare and much more.

Join the forum

Most Read

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now