3 ISSUES FOR JUST £3 Subscribe to France Magazines today click here

The visas you will need as a non-EU resident in France

PUBLISHED: 15:14 20 July 2017 | UPDATED: 09:59 03 July 2018

The visas non-EU residents need in France © alzay / Thinkstockphotos

The visas non-EU residents need in France © alzay / Thinkstockphotos


Americans, Australians and other non-EU residents need a visa or permit in order to visit or live in France – here’s our guide to the different visas and permits and how to apply for them

Do you need a visa?

Those outside the EU/EEA don’t have the same rights of movement as those within it, so visas are required for entry to France. Some countries have a special agreement with France, including America, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore and Switzerland (a full list can be found on france-visas.gouv.fr), allowing them to stay for up to 90 days without a visa (to stay longer they have to apply for a long-term visa).

You don’t need a visa if you hold a residence permit for France or any one of the other countries covered by the Schengen agreement. Separate visa regulations apply for entry to mainland France (part of the Schengen Area) and for France’s overseas territories.


Short-stay ‘Schengen’ visa: for stays no longer than 90 days (three months)

These allow holders to move freely in countries in the Schengen Area for up to 90 days per period of six months from your first entry (visas may be issued for one or several entries). They are ideal for those owning a holiday home in France, and are generally issued for tourism, business travel and family visits, as well as short training courses, internships or for artists on tour, sports-people playing in championships etc. A Schengen visa is valid for all 26 states of the Schengen Area (including France), unless marked otherwise on the visa sticker. You can’t work on a short-stay visa.


Don’t miss

What effect could Brexit have on British expats in France?

How do non-EU residents buy a property in France?


Long-stay visa (visa long de séjour): for stays of over 90 days (three months)

The main reasons for issuing this type of visa are study, work and family reunion. There are different visa categories according to the reason for application, e.g. for holidays (visa long de séjour visiteur), employment (salerié), studies (étudiant) or joining a relative (vie privée et familiale). A long-stay visa marked ‘carte de séjour à solliciter’ shows you are in the process of applying for a residence permit. Spouses of French citizens can also apply for this visa. You don’t have to intend to work, as long as you can demonstrate you have sufficient funds to live off while in France. On arriving in France, you must register with the French Immigration and Integration Office (OFII) or, in some cases, apply to the relevant préfecture for a residence permit.

How to apply for a visa

If you are from certain countries you can apply for a visa online via france-visas.gouv.fr but residents of other countries will have to apply for a visas at the French embassy or consulate in your country of residence (including renewals). The application fee is €60 for a short-stay visa and €99 for a long-stay visa. Application forms and the list of documents and information required can be found on france-visas.gouv.fr .

You will have to show that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay in France, somewhere to stay, and medical insurance with cover of at least €30,000. Applications can be submitted three months before entry to France (the visa can start either on the date of issue or on another date no later than three months after issue).

For short-stay visas, passports must be valid for at least three months beyond the date of expiry of the visa; for long-stay visas of definite duration (long-stay visa constituting a residence permit), passports must be valid for as long as the visa. Passports must contain at least two blank pages to take the visa and the French entry and exit stamps.


Don’t miss

How has Brexit affected this expat family in France?

Why did this American couple move from San Francisco to rural France?


Carte de séjour (residence permit)

If you want to stay on longer in France, you must apply for a renewable residence permit (carte de séjour) at the local préfecture, within two months of your visa/temporary residence permit running out. You may be required to provide details of your family situation, financial resources and health insurance, as well as proof of your address in France and an employment contract.

The duration of the permit depends on your employment or study status and family situation, but they’re usually for one to four years and renewable. There are also three-year compétences et talents (skills and talents) permits and up to 10-year-long permanent residence permits.

If you have been away from France for more than three consecutive years, your residence permit will expire.

Applying for French citizenship

After living for five continuous years in France (less if you fulfil other criteria such as marriage to a French national or holding a degree from a French university), you may be able to apply for a 10-year, renewable long-term carte de séjour or French citizenship through naturalisation. You will need to fulfil certain requirements, depending on your circumstances, such as proof of marriage, birth certificates and evidence that you have a good knowledge of the French language.


Don’t miss

How to become a French citizen

Insider tips for applying for French citizenship

My experience of applying for French citizenship


Getting healthcare cover in France

While EU nationals can visit France and use the EHIC reciprocal healthcare card should they need medical attention, those from countries outside the EU do not have access to this benefit.

Certain countries have signed a bilateral social security agreement with France (see the full list at cleiss.fr), but nationals of those that haven’t, which includes America, Australia and South Africa, should check with their home country’s social security system whether and to what extent it covers healthcare costs incurred when overseas.

Visitors are advised to take out a private insurance policy to cover any healthcare costs they may incur while in France; indeed, a private health insurance policy is required for tourist visa applicants.

If you pay into the French social security system (if you’re employed) or have gained French citizenship or are married to a French national, you automatically gain access to French healthcare. But what if you’re not a French citizen and aren’t working? You’ll then need private medical insurance. In fact, in France even those who receive state healthcare usually pay into a top-up insurance fund (mutuelle) as well, as the full cost of medical care is not borne by the state. There are plenty of reasonably priced expat insurance schemes to choose from (e.g. via the Association of American Residents Overseas).

“Currently non-EU nationals who wish to enter and stay in France for more than three months must have a long-stay visa,” says Ron Wright of Exclusive Healthcare, which specialises in health insurance for Anglophone residents of France as well as visitors. “One of the conditions for a long stay visa is to have private health insurance. Such non-EU nationals must apply to the French consulate in their home country for such visas. Each French consulate is responsible for informing such visa applicants exactly what the private health insurance must cover, and these requirements vary from consulate to consulate.”

Like this? You might enjoy:

How to find a job in France

Brexit: will British expats still be able to live in France?

How to make new friends when you move to France

Inspiring, must-read travel blogs about France


More from Living in France

Tue, 10:28

His chambres d’hôtes renovation continues and the builders are making progress, but Ian Moore soon learns there’s never a dull moment when communicating in a second language

Read more
Ian Moore
Tuesday, July 31, 2018

She made an impulsive decision to move to Limousin 10 years ago and a decade and five children later, Gillian Harvey has no regrets about jumping in feet first. In fact, she couldn’t be happier

Read more
Tuesday, August 7, 2018

If you are heading away on holiday soon, it might be a good idea to do a few security checks on your French house before leaving. This will give you extra peace of mind so you can relax and enjoy your leisure time. Here are our home security tips...

Read more
Thursday, June 28, 2018

If you are planning to take your car with you to France from an EU or non-EU country, these are the regulations you will need to comply with and the paperwork you will need to complete

Read more
Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Thinking of setting up a campsite in France? Here’s what you’ll need to consider when it comes to planning permission.

Read more
Friday, April 6, 2018

Understand the home-sharing website Airbnb, including the latest French rules, and follow our top tips for using it to rent out your property in France

Read more
Running a business
Tuesday, June 26, 2018

With its unbeatable wine and cheese and laissez-faire attitude, there’s nowhere better to retire than France. But which cities are best for growing old in? Here’s the top 10

Read more
Pays de la Loire
Thursday, January 25, 2018

If you are buying in or moving to France you will need a French bank account but before you open one make sure you read these 11 things you need to know to avoid making a costly mistake

Read more
Tuesday, June 5, 2018

The French pharmacy is so much more tham a place to pick up your prescriptions. Here are 11 things you might not know about pharmacies in France.

Read more
Healthcare in France
Friday, March 9, 2018

If you’ve just moved to France then you will need to get to grips with the French welfare system. Here’s our guide to the system including healthcare, benefits, social contributions and the changes Macron intends to make this year

Read more
Subscribe today

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

France Forum

Questions about France? Visit our free France forum to get help and advice from thousands of other Francophiles and expats. Topics include: property, tax, law, travelling, pets, education, healthcare and much more.

Join the forum

Most Read

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now